Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Survivor

Survivor

Something didn’t seem right. He told me to wait for him; that was five hours ago. I clasped the cool metallic handle clad with string, my life-line. It’s curve was threatening if not self-incriminating. The tooth of a dragon that could be revealed at a moments notice. The hard boxing glove that could be the difference between me and my impending fate. As I gripped tighter I could feel my index finger slide deeper and deeper down into the ring binding to my hand. It was all I had, it was my father’s. I held the cat’s claw between my fingers with caution, I did not know what would follow. I heard a noise behind me; a rustling in the leaves; I lunged to the side behind cover and paused. I breathed. “just like he showed me,” I reminded my hands. I was the poised panther with my claws extended. I lurched forward. The stone from hell had a mind of its own, before I was aware of what had happened, it was too late. I looked into the eyes of my savior, the man who would never again return to his family; the man who would never again enjoy a drink at the bar. I looked into the eyes of my savior slipping away.

No comments:

Post a Comment