Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Box

     She walked in carrying a white box. The box was in the shape of a squashed rectangle, and it was coated in a geometric pattern consisting of red squares and strange squiggly lines. I immediately became curious as to what was in the box, so I approached it (with caution, as its contents may have been dangerous). As I drew closer to the box, the air became thick and warm, almost as if it was charged with some sort of otherwordly energy. I began to take deep breaths through my nose, and my limbs became heavy and my mind cloudy. It was almost as if I had entered a haze, like in the moments just before a dream ends and the dreamer awakens. Whatever was in the box undoubtedly had some sort of unearthly powers that dulled the senses.
    I emerged from my haze when the girl pried the box open. Her action seemed to occur in slow motion, and I was raptly attentive. Immidiately, another strong wave of thick air almost blew me backwards. Inside the box was a glowing orange circle that resembled the sun. Like the sun, I wanted to look away but could not. The circular thing was captivating, and it grabbed me and drew me near. I even dared to reach out and touch it. It was scalding, and I pulled my hand back. The girl smiled and then reached her own hand into the box. I wanted to tell her to stop, that the strange circle would burn her too, but it was too late. She latched onto the circle with her fingers and tore off a piece of it, leaving a gaping, tooth-shaped hole. After she was done, the box snapped shut like the maw of a carnivorous beast. The girl seemed unaffected, but I though that the box seemed angry. I backed away, never taking my eyes off of the box. Eventually, long after the girl had left the room, I felt my eyelids drooping and stopped worrying so much about the strange box and its powers. The squares on the box were starting to blur, and I knew it was time for me to go to sleep.

1 comment: