Monday, September 26, 2016

Colleges Thoughts on Social Media


My Instagram contains pictures of me trying to be "artsy".   After I have now read this article, I wonder about what colleges might think of me. Would they think that I am basic? That I care about what others think? This leads me to think about whether I should delete my social media, but if I don’t have social media, am I social?

Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook, they are all extremely confusing apps. Deciding what to post, when to post it and whether the thing is worth posting is very time consuming. At the same time, I think that all these apps help me with my daily life because it is how I know and meet a lot people. Colleges looking through my social media does sound scary, but not scary enough for me to delete it. Being at Choate, I highly doubt I will post something that would dissuade colleges from accepting me. Another thing that is worth creating is an account about something that I am passionate about. Maybe videos of dancers, videos of singers, or more artsy photography. But after all this thought in what I want colleges to see, the thing I realize is that I want them to see me. My social media does portray a side of me, it may be a more basic and generic side, but my personality does shine through.

3 comments:

  1. It was interesting how much I related to this situation of being social and your true self and being afraid of how colleges might perceive you. I also related to the idea of if not having social media makes you an unsocial person and puts you at a disadvantage socially to someone who has a social media and a lot of followers. I think that social media is important to have and you should post what you want, keeping in mind that it can be used against you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point. Social media is stressful and time consuming but at least you are true to yourself on it. I wonder if colleges look through our social medias to find out what kind of people we are and what we do or if they're looking to see if we have any innapropriate pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you are saying. I don't really have anything to "hide" on my social media profiles. However, I do think it is important to keep my profile private.

    ReplyDelete