Sunday, September 25, 2016

Death vs. Eternity


“Which is scarier, death or everlasting life?” This question, which was the subtitle of an article I found, struck me as something I’d thought about frequently, but worded in a way that was almost earth-shattering. Everyone has thought about the concept of death at some time in their life. I do it often; the idea of death scares me. But I was never given another option, until I read that question. Naturally, I read through the entire article and was fascinated and confused by what I read. The article brought up the idea of an afterlife, which I’ve always struggled with as I’m a confirmed Catholic but do not consider myself religious. I don’t believe I qualify as an actual apeirophobe, someone who’s afraid of eternity, but the idea of dying and then simply spending eternity in another place is strange. Whether I find that frightening or soothing, I don’t know. I enjoy my fair share of relaxation time, but a forever of that sounds a bit monotonous. Yet if there’s no afterlife, then I’ll just be in the ground. No more life; an eternity of death. Neither of those options sound particularly attractive. The article also mentioned the idea of feeling “insignificant compared to the universe.” Until today, I don’t think I’ve ever actually thought about my importance in comparison to everything else. When I think about my day-to-day life, everything seems important. But compared to space and time and the rest of the universe, I’m not sure I matter in the slightest bit. These questions do matter however, but they’re so terrifying and mind-boggling. I’m glad I came across that question because it sparked my curiosity and made me think, but I’m not sure I ever want to think about it again.




No comments:

Post a Comment