Sunday, September 25, 2016

Dangers of Long Distance Running on Athletes


What Is the Issue?


“Monday, fun-day, run-day” can be the death. Causes injury, nausea, and fear. Is running really the best way to stay in shape? Is it the best way to become the fittest athlete on the field? On the court?



What Should We Do?


The National Federation of State High School Associations states that on average, field players run for 70% of the game. The Federation notes, “Most of the runs made in soccer are explosive, high-intensity runs, rather than long, slow runs.” So why do coaches make players go on slow, long-distance runs? For stamina? Actually, running long distance can impact the player’s ability in the opposite way -- making them weak and even slow. Coaches should incorporate more short and dynamic sprinting drills. #powersport #run


Why Does This Matter?


Research shows that the top five common injuries due to running are plantar fasciitis, achilles tendinitis, IT band syndrome, runner’s knee, and shin splints. Currently I am struggling from two out of the five: plantar fasciitis and shin splints. Last season, I had to take winter season off to recover. It is not worth ruining your feet and legs, going through physical therapy, and wearing custom orthotics to run a mile. #plantarfasciitis #shinsplints #saveyourbody




#blogarc

2 comments:

  1. I relate a lot with this blog, I am currently healing from injuring my ACL and MCl. I am trying to get back into shape after being out for five months so I am trying to decide what is the best way to do this without re injuring myself. I thought that going on long runs would increase my stamina but now I'm starting to question that.😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought that going on long runs was helpful to stay/get in shape. Whenever I feel like I haven't done enough exercise I always go for a two mile run. Recently, I always feel like my body is hurting the next couple days. Glad to know why!

    ReplyDelete