Monday, February 22, 2016

Don't Settle for A Mistake

Don't Settle for A Mistake
Two independent clauses converged in a sentence
And sorry you need a something to separate them
And one could be a semicolon, separates it must
Look further down the sentence to see if a comma is astray
Comma oh commas,
How they do their job.
Beyond every sentence there is a reason
For the way it was written
Commas oh commas,
Semicolons oh semicolons,
Oh how they combine independent clauses
Oh how they are kept all day!
To separate independent clauses
The creation of new sentences emerge
As more independent clauses converge
They cry for help within their barrier
Between the first capitalized letter
And the last punctuation mark
Including a period, exclamation mark, or
Question to mystify the reader.
Commas oh my commas,
Oh how they create such roads to take
How they converge the two independent clauses
To make no mistake.

The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.



I chose the poem, "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost to create a parody demonstrating the useful terms and concepts of style and usage. This poem is one stanza, leaving me with the opportunity to produce an informative poem but with well used explanatory information. It is important to know and understand the reasons why commas or semicolons are used in a sentence and creating a parody of a poem is a creative way to comprehend the concepts of style and usage in a more miraculous way.






1 comment:

  1. Very nice replacement of the words. Good job with keeping the same style.

    ReplyDelete