Monday, February 22, 2016

Grammadoxes

Whenever I have a day off, I write a new grammar rule.
Does this mean you shouldn't use a semicolon to separate two independent clauses? 
For example, this is the grammar rule I wrote today.
                                     *
When he was 20, he understood some of the secrets of
commas, and undertook to write them down so simply that
even an idiot could understand how to set off quoted elements.
“For,” he reasoned, “if I can’t do that, I don’t
understand it myself.”
He proved himself right.
When he was 50, he didn’t understand it himself.
                                      *
“Why is it,” he said, “that no matter what you say,
pronouns cause controversy?”
“They never do,” they (he, she, or they) said.
                                      *
John said, “Then they used a line thingy in place of a comma, with a name like end.”
“You mean an en dash?”
“Yeah.”
“It could be used that way.”


This poem really caught my attention in the sense that it is a collection of three paradoxes, hence the name "Circle Poems." While the full effect of the poems
is better showcased in their original form, a few minor adjustments made a few grammar rules fit quite nicely.


No comments:

Post a Comment