Monday, February 22, 2016

A Punctuation Mark Within a Sentence

Using Edgar Allen Poe's, "A Dream Within a Dream," I mimicked the style and structure to create a personal parody. The poem contained the simple rules while using a comma and an apostrophe mark.


Take this comma upon the sentence! 
And, in separating two independent clauses, 
To set of introductory elements, as you read don't forget the pauses--
You are not wrong, when you deem 
That a comma will avoid confusion; 
Or comes after an interjection.
Yet if hope has flown away
Use a comma when referring a specific day,
Or a number, degree, or direct addresses, 
Don't forget the comma in geographic references. 
Do I throw a comma in here?
Or will it change the meaning of the sentence? 
Use the comma carefully, and as you have intended.

I stand amid the apostrophe, 
If I misuse, there will be catastrophe--
Possessives, plurals, and contractions, 
How few! But these are the uses and exceptions.
The apostrophe will be used with a plural, 
With one anomaly to this rule, 
A place or name that ends with S, 
You can use the apostrophe as u may have guessed,
O God! Can I not grasp
With other punctuation, is it first or last? 
O God! can I not find 
The three rules to the apostrophe will blow your mind.
Is that all that I have said? 
Keep contraction, plurals, and possessives in your head.


http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/237388
 




1 comment:

  1. Interesting parody! I am impressed that you were able to include all the rules of commas and apostrophes in this informative way.

    ReplyDelete