Monday, February 22, 2016

Let Sentences Be Sentences Again

Let Sentences Be Sentences Again


Let sentences be sentences again.
Let them be the right way they're supposed to be.
Let them be the right length
Don’t make them too long even though they're free.


(Sentences were never sentences to me.)


Let sentences be the dream the grammar nazis dreamed.
Let them be separated with a semicolon when they need to be
Where there are two coordinating conjunctions
There should be a semicolon.


(It never was a sentence to me.)
O, let it have a coordinating conjunction
For, and, nor, but, or, yet, also
Call it FANBOYS if you forget
But don’t forget your comma after it!


Say who are you that performs the action?
And who are you that tells me what to do?


I am the strong and direct ruler
I am the one who is doing the actions
I ate five hamburgers
I cleaned the house
I am the one doing it all --
I am active voice.

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/let-america-be-america-again

Parody of Let America Be America Again by Langston Hughes. I discuss a little about when to include a semicolon and what active voice is.

1 comment:

  1. Good job on mimicking the style of Langston Hughes' original poem--the wording is similar and creates a resembling tone quality. Clever idea, too!

    ReplyDelete